Dr. GK Narayana Reddy Former Vice Chancellor
Born on 24.06.1928 hails from an agricultural family of Gidnahalli Village, Chikkaballapur Taluk. He obtained his B.Sc. (Hons.) Degree in Chemistry from Mysore University in 1948. Thereafter he joined as Lecturer in First Grade College, Tumkur. After teaching there for one year, he was deputed on a scholarship to the Banaras Hindu University from where he obtained his Master’s Degree in 1951. He worked in Central College as lecturer till 1956. He was at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore for two years on a Government of India Scholarship to work on high pressure reactions involving Carbon monoxide and Glycols. In 1958 he went to the University College, London (UCL) to work with Sir R.S.Nyholm FRS in the area of Coordination Chemistry. For the research carried out at UCL, he was awarded a Ph.D. degree in 1961. On return from abroad, he continued to work in Central College, Bangalore, was elevated to a Readership in 1966 and to Professorship in 1968, worked as Head of the Department and Dean of Faculty of Science, Bangalore University. Later he worked as Vice-Chancellor of Karnatak University from 1987 to 1990.